Social networking is a global experience. The advent of social networking allows almost instant communication across the world. The impact of social networking on people’s digital experience cannot be discounted.
This OMMA Social presentation looks at social networking around the world and delves into what impacts the social trends. Eli Goodman, evangelist at comScore looks at the trends across the globe and showing how social has influenced the digital world.
Social networking is the most popular online activity
- 75% of social networking time is dedicated to Facebook
- 82.4% of the world population is using social networking
- 20% of time spent online is spent on social networking
- 1 in 7 minutes online is spent on Facebook
- Most engaged social networkers are in Latin America
- 1/3 of the world social networkers are in Asia Pacific
- Males and users age 55+ are the fastest growing social media segment, & LinkedIn is a big driver
5 markets where Facebook is not the leading social network
- South Korea
- 25% of display ads are on social, and most are interactive, but social ad spending accounts for only 15% of budget
- 5% of ads in the US are socially enabled (“follow us on Twitter,” “Like us on Facebook,” etc…)
- 15% of ad spending is within social media sites in the US
Pinterest, the social media disruptor
- Pinterest is aspirational & forward-thinking
- Pinterest was the first to tap into the idea of “potential memories,” with people creating boards like “my future wedding” etc.
- 10% of online time is accessed via a mobile device
- Mobile devices will drive long-term social media use
- It’s been “The Year of Mobile” since 2003, but 2011 was the true year of mobile with tablets, touchscreens, etc.
As a marketer, you should know your niche market, understand your audience, and create relevant content for your demographic. But you should also globalize your efforts and be aware that social networking is a worldwide phenomena, spanning across cultures and impacting different groups. Don’t be intimidated: Be excited by the world of opportunity that social networking provides!