80% of the world’s population has a mobile device; this percentage is higher than those who have Internet subscriptions. In the United States alone, there are 100 million mobile web users.
With all of the mobile device use, a host of creations such as mobile sites, mobile apps, and other platforms enable users to engage and connect with the world around them.
With all of these wonderful creations, several questions remain unanswered for marketers and branders alike, such as:
- How do you measure mobile?
- Are mobile measurement results reliable?
- What are the best tools to measure mobile?
- How can you optimize mobile experiences?
- What content should be in a mobile website?
This OMMA Metrics panel of mobile experts breaks mobile measurement down and teaches you how to drive insights from your mobile channel. Use their guidance wisely so you can effectively use mobile to your advantage.
David Berkowitz, Sr. Director of Emerging Media & Innovation, 360i
Steven Goldstein, SVP, ChaCha
Shiven Ramji, Vice President, Mobile Media & Advertiser Products, The Nielsen Company
Eric Rickson, Director of Mobile Analytics, Webtrends
Jeff Tennery, SVP, Publisher Services, Millennial Media
Mobile content planning
- Look at traffic today & your expertise
- Remember capacity of Smartphone vs. feature phone
- Don’t bother with a mobile display advertising strategy if you don’t have a mobile website to back it
- Look to gaming; tablets adding to TV experience
- Mobile has stronger click-through rates because there’s less competition
- So much of mobile morphs into another media naturally:
- Trends while watching TV
- Trends while in the store
Lessons learned from online measurement help with mobile measurement
Mobile measurement still evolving; one system will not solve it all, each data source has challenges
What’s the next big step?
- Move to commerce, beyond the click
- Brands trying to value what it’s really worth and how all the variations compare
- Measuring mobile apps is easier, it’s capturing the ecosystem that’s the challenge @ricksone
- Mobile has advantages over web; need to highlight those when comparing them @dberkowitz
- Focus on privacy and transparency settings
The use of mobile phones for web use is only going to increase. Use this expert advice from mobile gurus to plan your mobile campaign, observe trends, and measure wisely.